Volunteer as an Item Writer
Thank you for your interest in PNCB item writing!
PNCB’s call-for-applications is currently closed.
Let us know you’re interested in item writing anytime via our volunteer survey – you will be among the first to know when future item writing opportunities are available.
- CPNs and PMHSs: See a sample workshop agenda here.
- CPNP-ACs and CPNP-PCs: See a sample schedule for self-paced training activities here.
- Work at least 20 clinical practice hours per week related to the PNCB credential you hold and/or through oversight of students in a clinical setting
- Cannot be an author of or contributor to exam preparation or review materials (e.g., books, online modules, review courses)
- May hold faculty positions
- Review the full role description for the PNCB item writer here
HOW TO APPLY
Learn about item writing basics (mandatory) to prepare for writing the question you'll submit with your application.
- Complete PNCB’s free CE module: Item Writing 101.
- Already completed this module? Email firstname.lastname@example.org to request access to it again so you can refresh your knowledge before starting your question.
- Review our Item Writing Infographic.
Locate a PNCB-approved reference (for the exam you will write for) to use for your question.
- You’ll need to provide a reference citation to support your question.
- Find your credential's reference list here: CPN, CPNP-AC, CPNP-PC, PMHS
Review the Exam’s Content Outline and begin developing ideas for a question, being sure to also consult the selected reference.
Write 1 question to submit in your online application. Be sure to apply what you learned in Step 1 to polish your final version.
Confirm your resume/CV is current (submission required with application).
PNCB’s call-for-applications is currently closed. PNCB WILL NOTIFY APPLICANTS OF ACCEPTANCE BY MID-AUGUST. A diverse group of selectees from around the country will be chosen based on demonstrated ability to apply basic item writing concepts.
You’ll be sent details about your training:
- For the in-person workshop, participants will receive email instructions about arranging travel, pre-workshop activities to jump-start your item writing, and final travel/lodging details.
- For the self-paced training, participants will receive a schedule of monthly activities for this independent learning experience.
After completing item writer training:
- A final assignment of 6 additional items is due by December 1, 2022.
- You’ll receive an annual item writing assignment of similar size during your term of service.
- Item Writers taking the Self-Paced training will receive 1 new PNCB-approved textbook (one-time issuance) to use for your item writing. (Item writers taking the in-person workshop will have textbooks available for use at the workshop.)
- Contact hours awarded annually for each assignment meeting the standard
- Resumé enhancement
- Rewarding collaboration
- Receive expert mentoring
- Refinement of your writing skills
- Letter of Recognition to your employer, by request
- Potential to join other PNCB committees (e.g., Exam, Pediatric Updates)