Volunteer as an Item Writer
Thank you for your interest in PNCB item writing!
Let us know you’re interested in item writing anytime via our volunteer survey – you will be among the first to know when future item writing opportunities are available.
- Work at least 20 clinical practice hours per week related to the PNCB credential you hold and/or through oversight of students in a clinical setting
- Cannot be an author of or contributor to exam preparation or review materials (e.g., books, online modules, review courses)
- May hold faculty positions
- Review the full role description for the PNCB item writer here
- Complete the Free CE Item Writing 101 Module and review our other item writing resources: PNCB Item Writing Manual and the Item Writing Infographic.
- Apply what you have learned by writing 2 items for your relevant credential exam and include a reference citation for each from the exam’s approved reference list. Click the appropriate credential link below to see the content outline (where you will find topic ideas) and reference list (where you must validate correct answers).
PNCB’s call-for-applications is currently closed.
If you recently applied for the 2-day Virtual Workshop (via ZOOM web conferencing) being held October 14 and October 22, 2021 OR the Self-Paced Training which will launch September 16, PNCB WILL NOTIFY APPLICANTS OF ACCEPTANCE BY MID-AUGUST. A diverse group of selectees from around the country will be chosen based on demonstrated ability to apply basic item writing concepts.
- Complete item writer training (Virtual Workshop or Self-Paced Training)
- Write and submit 5 additional items for your 2021 assignment by December 1, 2021
- Receive an annual assignment of similar size during your term of service
- Receive one (1) NEW PNCB-approved textbook (one-time issuance) to use for your item writing
- Contact hours awarded annually for each assignment meeting the standard
- Resumé enhancement
- Rewarding collaboration
- Receive expert mentoring
- Refinement of your writing skills
- Letter of Recognition to your employer, by request
- Potential to join other PNCB committees (e.g., Exam, Pediatric Updates)