Volunteer as an Item Writer
Thank you for your interest in PNCB item writing!
Or let us know you’re interested in item writing via our volunteer survey!
- Work at least 20 clinical practice hours per week related to the PNCB credential you hold and/or through oversight of students in a clinical setting
- Cannot be an author of or contributor to exam preparation or review materials (e.g., books, online modules, review courses)
- May hold faculty positions
- Review the full role description for the PNCB item writer here
- Complete the Free CE Item Writing 101 Module and review our other item writing resources: PNCB Item Writing Manual and the Item Writing Infographic.
- Apply what you have learned by writing 2 items for your relevant credential exam and include a reference citation for each from the exam’s approved reference list. Click the appropriate credential link below to see the content outline (where you will find topic ideas) and reference list (where you must validate correct answers).
- Complete the online application by July 19, 2021, which includes:
- submitting your 2 well-constructed items and uploading a copy of your resumé/CV
- indicating how you wish to participate, if selected:
- Complete item writer training (Virtual Workshop or Self-Paced Training)
- Write and submit 5 additional items for your 2021 assignment by December 1, 2021
- Receive an annual assignment of similar size during your term of service
- Receive one (1) NEW PNCB-approved textbook (one-time issuance) to use for your item writing
- Contact hours awarded annually for each assignment meeting the standard
- Resumé enhancement
- Rewarding collaboration
- Receive expert mentoring
- Refinement of your writing skills
- Letter of Recognition to your employer, by request
- Potential to join other PNCB committees (e.g., Exam, Pediatric Updates)