Benefits of CPN Certification
Certification helps you stand out on the floor, when seeking a promotion, and if job hunting.
Being certified sends a message that you have specialty knowledge beyond RN licensure. Board certification may benefit nurses with increased compensation, enhanced career mobility, and recognition of validated expertise by employers, colleagues, and patients and their families. Download CPN resources. See and share the PowerPoint.
New research initiatives are working to show evidence of how certification is linked to better patient care.
PNCB's Certified Pediatric Nurse (CPN) credential is the gold standard for the pediatric specialty. Our high quality exams and outstanding customer service set us apart. CPNs like you serve on our board of directors and committees.
We focus solely on pediatrics and support the profession beyond certification services through:
- Free continuing education regardless of certification status
- No Pass, No Pay no-risk testing and recertification invoicing
- Free Campaign for Pediatric Nursing resources to promote the profession to school-age and RN students
Nurses should select the exam that will best attest to their knowledge and skills as expert pediatric nurses, and we truly believe that our certification is overwhelmingly sought because of the value and validation it offers to pediatric nurses. If you have questions about any PNCB program, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org so we can help!
By the Numbers
- 97% of nurses say certification provides personal satisfaction.
- 90% of nurse managers prefer hiring certified nurses over non-certified nurses if all other factors are equal.
- 88% of nurses agree that certification enhances confidence in clinical abilities.
- In a 2017 Medscape compensation study, certified RNs typically earn $7,000 or 9% more than those without certification.
- 25,000+ nurses hold the CPN credential.
Specific Benefits for CPNs
Excelsior College Credit
CPN certification is worth 3 baccalaureate nursing degree credits at Excelsior College, a leader in distance education. To receive Excelsior degree credit, please save and complete our CPN Verification Form.
Board of Nursing Renewal
CPN certification is increasingly being accepted for all or partial CE/CC requirements when renewing your RN license. Contact your board of nursing for details.
Discounts & More
Visit your CPN Corner for a full list of discounts, award programs, and free materials.
- Certified Pediatric Nurses' Perceptions of Job Satisfaction. Wyatt, J., and Harrison, M. Pediatric Nursing. July/August 2010.
- Pediatric Nurses Value Certification. Pediatric Nursing Certification Board, January 2007.
- American Board of Nursing Specialties (ABNS) Value of Certification Survey Executive Summary. American Board of Nursing Specialties, May 2006.
- Certified Registered Nurses: Results of the Study of the Certified Workforce. Cary, A.H. American Journal of Nursing. 101(1):44-52, January 2001.
- Differences in Perceptions of Empowerment Among Nationally Certified and Noncertified Nurses. Piazza, Irene M., et al. Journal of Nursing Administration. 36(5):277-283, May 2006.
- NAPNAP Position Paper on Certification. National Association of Pediatric Nurse Practitioners, June 2006.
- Stromborg, M.F., Niebuhr, B.N., et al. Nursing Management. 36(5):36-46, May 2005.
- The Value of Specialty Nursing Certification. Biel, M., and Niebuhr, B.N. Nursing Outlook. 55 (4):176-181, July-August 2007.