Filing a Complaint
All PNCB Certified Pediatric Nurses (CPNs ) and Certified Pediatric Nurse Practitioners (CPNPs ) are to abide by the Pediatric Nursing Certification Board's Certificant Code of Ethics. Members of the public who believe that a CPN or CPNP has violated this code may file a complaint with the PNCB. PNCB supports transparency in this process and will also notify the CPN or CPNP of the complaint and the identity of the person who filed the complaint.
When the PNCB is contacted about a potential ethical violation, the following actions will be taken:
- If an individual chooses to file a complaint about a potential ethical violation with the PNCB, they will be requested to submit a Complaint Form. This document will be shared with the PNCB attorney, who will contact the complainant to gather additional facts.
- The PNCB will inform the individual reporting the potential ethical violation that they may report their concerns to the respective state board of nursing
- The individual being cited in the Complaint Form will be informed immediately by the attorney and given the opportunity to respond.
- The attorney will then present the facts of the situation to the PNCB CEO and the Executive Committee of the Board of Directors, in writing and orally, and recommend a disposition.
- The PNCB CEO and Executive Committee of the Board of Directors will make a decision regarding disposition of the matter. Disciplinary actions may range from private reprimand to loss of certification. All disciplinary actions will be shared with the nurse's state board of nursing, which is the regulatory authority for nursing practice.
- An appeals process, which is outlined on the PNCB website, is available for any nurse certified by the PNCB who contests an adverse decision of the Board. The Executive Committee of the Board hears all written appeals.
Complaints must be submitted on PNCB's Complaint Form (Word). Please mail the Complaint Form and supporting documentation to:
Director of Customer Service
Pediatric Nursing Certification Board
9605 Medical Center Drive, Suite 250
Rockville, MD 20850