Review Courses & Related Resources
In addition to preparation resources offered by PNCB, the following support for RNs and employers is available.
PNCB does not provide its own review course for the CPN exam as this would be a conflict of interest.
- The resources below are administered independently of PNCB.
- PNCB does not benefit financially from these opportunities.
- Note that sample or practice questions from these resources may not match PNCB exam style. PNCB uses multiple choice questions with 4 answer options. The resources below may use true/false, open-ended, or other styles of questions.
- While PNCB cannot specifically endorse a review or learning opportunity below, they are well-respected in the pediatric nursing community. Ask your peers who have had success on the exam what preparatory resources they recommend.
Review Courses & Additional Review Materials
What they offer individual RNs and/or hospitals/organizations:
- Two-day in-person review courses at hospitals.
- Two-day in-person review courses at regional and national conferences.
- Additional study aids (e.g., books, DVDs, and flashcards).
About Nurse Builders:
- Nurse Builders is a pediatric nursing education company dedicated to advancing pediatric nursing education, practice, and research. They are an academic, learning-oriented company dedicated to meeting the individual and organization needs of its clients.
- Nurse Builders was founded and is facilitated by Louise D. Jakubik, PhD, RN-BC, CSP, a leading authority on the pediatric nursing certification review process. She also has more than 20 years of experience as a pediatric nurse working in a variety of roles.
- More than 95% of Nurse Builders' participants report success on their pediatric certification exam.
See nursebuilders.net for available resources, a list of upcoming conference and hospital review courses, or how to bring a course to your site. Select hospital courses are open to outside nurses.
SOCIETY OF PEDIATRIC NURSES (SPN):
REVIEW COURSES AND OTHER RESOURCES
What they offer individual RNs:
- Online review course
- Additional study aids (practice quizzes, review textbook)
- SPN is a non-profit membership organization for pediatric nurses with a mission to advance the specialty through excellence in education, research and practice.
- SPN was founded in 1990 and represents more than 3,300 pediatric nurses.
- SPN strives to support nurses in their practice by providing educational resources, news in pediatric trends, and opportunities to network with nurses around the country.
See www.pedsnurses.org for available courses and resources.
Pediatric Learning Solutions:
A Clinical Education Program for Pediatric Professionals
What they offer:
- Pediatric Learning Solutions is currently only available to organizations, and not to individuals. See participant list or ask your clinical education department if your employer offers this resource.
About Pediatric Learning Solutions:
- Offered by the Children's Hospital Association, Pediatric Learning Solutions' online courses deliver foundational knowledge in support of question topics on the exam.
- Created by pediatric subject matter experts and are used to orient new and transitioning nurses to the complexities of caring for children.
- Select courses align to focus areas of the CPN exam content outline and are an additional respected preparatory resource for candidates to consider prior to their CPN exam.
- See which courses align with the CPN exam (for content outline ending 11/10/17).
- See which courses align with the CPN exam (for content outline starting 11/14/17).
Additional details and benefits:
- Each course is approved for CNE/CE, with a total of 63 contact hours for completion of all courses. Contact hours earned are also approved for PNCB recertification.
- Courses are self-paced, delivered 24/7 through your hospital, and are an average of 30 to 90 minutes each.
- The majority of CPN exam questions require critical thinking through knowledge application questions. Scenarios that require knowledge application are incorporated into courses.
- Immediate feedback enhances learning. Nurses can review correct or incorrect test answers for the courses and see accompanying explanations to deepen their knowledge.