The Certified Pediatric Nurse Exam is composed of multiple-choice questions.
Samples of these question types follow. Please remember that
these are only sample question types you may encounter and do not reflect
the scope or degree of difficulty of the exam. The answer key follows
the question samples.
We also offer online CPN Practice Tests to help you assess your strengths and weaknesses prior to taking your exam. Each CPN Practice Test offers 50 questions, in-depth explanations of all right and wrong answers, and a score report. Visit our Practice Tests page for full details.
Select the ONE answer that is BEST in each case.
1. Which of the following would be noted as abnormal in the developmental assessment of a 12 month old?
(A) clings to parents
(B) picks up objects with a raking motion
(C) walks holding onto furniture
(D) speaks 3-4 words
2. The most appropriate precaution that the staff of a hospital unit can take to minimize the communicability of diarrhea is to:
(A) limit the interaction of infants and toddlers with older children
(B) keep the diaper disposal out of the reach of the children
(C) clean and disinfect toys frequently
(D) wash their hands properly after each diaper change
3. Which of the following assessments is the MOST reliable indicator of adequate fluid replacement in an adolescent with extensive burns?
(A) blood pressure remains stable at 102/58
(B) respiratory rate is 60 breaths per minute
(C) capillary refill less than 2 seconds
(D) hourly urinary output is 15 mL
4. Which of the following is the MOST appropriate anticipatory guidance regarding television and media viewing for young children?
(A) language development is enhanced by watching media
(B) animated video characters are effective in teaching nutritious eating habits
(C) media sources of any type negatively influence the health of young children
(D) monitoring the quality of children's program viewing is imperative
5. Which of the following is an urgent concern for a patient in acute renal failure with a potassium level of 8 mEq/L?
(A) cardiac arrhythmias
(B) intracranial hemorrhage
(D) cerebral edema
Answers: 1-B, 2-D, 3-C, 4-D, 5-A